How many of you have had chaotic evenings where you were choosing between laundry, your favorite show, a hot bath, or cleaning counter tops? I know in my house EVERY night seemed to be like this, and it was just getting to the point where it was ridiculous. I thought, “something really needs to change here,” and so I started experimenting with different routines. Here’s what’s been working for me:
- Set a timer to remind you when it’s time to STOP doing ALL the things and start your wind down routine. If I don’t do this, I will be like a squirrel at a rave until I realize it’s already 11PM
- In order to know when you need to set the alarm, you need to know when you’d like to be in bed and how long your wind down routine takes in general. This might take a couple of tries, but you’ll figure out how long you need
- Also based off when you want to start your wind down routine, I give myself 30 mins prior to finish tasks that will irk me the following morning-i.e. dishes, laundry folding, countertop wiping, whatever I can fit into 30 mins that will impact my level of annoyance in the most positive way-I do that for myself as much as everyone else’s benefit.
- Have something that signals to your body, now is the time to relax-this could be many things: hot tea, bath time, reading a book, putting lotion on your skin, your husband rubbing your feet (does anyone really know how to make this one happen?), journaling etc.
- DO NOT check your emails if at all possible-this will get your head spinning with all sorts of scenarios, problems to solve, etc. and then you will be WOUND UP and not down
- If you’re one of those people that can’t fall asleep without the TV on, set a timer so the light and sound doesn’t wake you up later
- Keep a water bottle freshly filled beside your bed so you don’t have to get in and out if you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night. On the other side of that coin, don’t chug too much before bed or you’ll bladder will wake you. I work to get the majority of my water in by 5PM, and I learned that the “waking up like an elderly person to pee every 3 hours way”
I’d love to hear if any of you currently do these, are going to implement some of these, or if you have something new to share! I am all about collaborating on ways to make our lives a little easier as moms and women. Drop a comment below and/or take the poll